Originally built in 1904 as the Hotel Richmond, the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Barbara Johns Office Building was sensitively rehabilitated by Commonwealth Architects. Designed to achieve LEED-NC Gold certification, the project forms a careful balance between sustainable design and historic rehabilitation.
Several green features were utilized in the design including high reflectivity roof materials, high efficiency VRF mechanical equipment, specification of low VOC emitting materials, and the use of recycled and local materials. Special care was devoted to the significant character-defining features of the building, beginning with the monumental, two-story marble lobby featuring three large stained-glass skylights with the Hotel Richmond crest.
This project adhered to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation.