Built by John Walker between 1824 and 1825, Walkerton Tavern has served as a tavern, store, post office, voting precinct, and possibly a field hospital for wounded Union Cavalrymen in 1864. Commonwealth Architects was chosen by Henrico County to provide full architectural and engineering services (including master planning and construction administration) for the historic restoration and rehabilitation of Walkerton Tavern and its outbuildings, as well as the landscaping of its site.
The project included repairs and restoration of brickwork, and restoration of the front and rear porches. A historic cemetery on the grounds was carefully restored, and freestanding restrooms added. A gazebo, gateway, alley of trees, and new pathways and parking areas were designed for the Tavern site.
The project also included the renovation and expansion of the Expressions Restaurant at the Glen Allen Cultural Arts Center, and improvements to the Arts Center’s courtyard and site. Improvements to the Cultural Arts Center included a lobby renovation, new ADA bathrooms, a meeting room, new entrance portico, and a courtyard canopy