Size: 37,000 sf
Services: Historic Tax CreditsArchitectureHistoric PreservationInterior Design
Awards: AIA Richmond, Honor Award - 2015 Urban Land Institute, Innovative Deal of the Year - 2014 Urban Land Institute, Best Public-Private Partnership - 2014
Commonwealth Architects provided architectural services to the VCU Real Estate Foundation to rehabilitate the former Richmond Terminal Depot in Richmond, Virginia into a collaborative space for VCU’s School of the Arts. Built in 1907, the Richmond Terminal Depot was constructed to serve the Richmond and Chesapeake Bay Railway.
The rehabilitation of the buildings and addition provide more than 37,000 square feet of space to meet the programmatic needs of VCUarts. The facility houses flexible interdisciplinary workspaces, including those designated for a new creative entrepreneurship program, as well as studio classrooms, offices, lounge, gallery, coffee shop, and conference room.