Commonwealth Architects has completed the complete interior and exterior rehabilitation of the Masonic Theatre in Clifton Forge, Virginia. Designed by Frye & Chesterman Architects and constructed in 1905-06, the Masonic Theatre was originally opened for stage performances and was quickly adapted largely for movie screenings. The third floor housed a meeting room for the Masons and the lower level contained a furniture warehouse.
Working with The Masonic Theatre Preservation Foundation, the design rehabilitated the building’s exterior and marquee, adds a stage loading dock, restores the interior Lobby and Auditorium, creates a Lower Level Lounge, Concessions area, restrooms, new Dressing Rooms and connection to the adjacent amphitheater, and rehabilitates the second and third floor offices, as well as a Community Room on the third floor. The adjacent building, which has been historically connected to the theatre since it was constructed in 1907, houses restrooms, a secondary lobby/coat room and mechanical rooms.
All work was designed in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation and the project took advantage of Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits.