Virginia Commonwealth University has contracted Commonwealth Architects for the Preliminary Investigation and Exterior Improvements to the Leigh House, a historic Federal and Italianate-style house built between 1812 and 1816. Now owned by VCU, the building houses the administrative offices of the Department of Epidemiology and Community Health.
The three-story structure contains a metal hipped roof with several chimneys and a decorative roof cornice. The exterior of the structure appears to be constructed originally of brick which has been clad in several layers of stucco over time The double hung windows appear to be original with interior storm windows installed at several locations on the upper levels and areaway/window wells with windows on the lower level. There is an Italianate entry porch with an elaborate cornice above stone and concrete steps. There are several other conditions which are in need of investigation including the windows, roof, site walls, porch and cornice.
The goal of the project is to completely rehabilitate the building envelope.