The St. Patrick’s School located at 2600 E. Grace Street in Richmond, Virginia is a two-story masonry school building
built in 1914. Immediately adjacent to the north is the Sisters’ House was also a two story residential structure, built in 1925. The property had been owned by the Archdiocese of the Catholic Church until 2004 when they ceased operation of the school and placed the property on the market for private development.
Stanley Shield Development commissioned Commonwealth Architects to rehabilitate the two structures into condominiums and transform an adjacent playground into resident parking. Special care was taken in making sure that all rehabilitation respected the historic nature of these structures.
All residential units will feature a controlled-access security located at the building entrances, access to the private gated courtyard located between the school and convent and convenient on-site parking adjacent to the condominium units. Project features include four flat glass skylights that will not be visible from the street, a new curb cut for entry into the new parking area, a small courtyard (complete with new pavers and planting beds) and a decorative steel picket fence.
There are 15 condominium units ranging in size from 862 to 1,968 square feet. Units include custom cabinetry, granite countertops, interior data wiring (that will allow for computer networking throughout the unit) and wood floors in the living areas.